Kimball Rod and
9837 Willow Creek Rd
PO Box 111
Kimball, MN 55353
Welcome to the Kimball Rod and Gun Club News Page!
Come to this page for any up to date information.
|Posted on 10 December, 2022 at 13:25|
Message to 2023 Kimball Rod & Gun Club members.
At the December 2022 Club meeting, a couple changes for 2023 were voted upon. We now have Individual and Family Memberships. In addition, to cover increased operating expenses, our annual Membership dues will be slightly higher than 2022.
Annual Memberships (January – December), Individuals 18 years and older:
Individual Membership – $60 for NRA members, $95 for non-NRA members.
Family Membership – $75 for NRA members, $110 for non-NRA members.
”Family” is defined as the Member, his/her Spouse, Life Partner, or Significant Other, and minor children residing in the Member's household. Other household individuals 18 years and older must have their own membership.
For 2023, Rifle & Pistol Ranges are MEMBER USE ONLY. It was also decided that the past practice of allowing Members to bring ONE adult non-member shooting guest to the Rifle & Pistol Ranges will no longer be allowed.
Historically, allowing ONE adult shooting guest was intended to be a one-time event, with hopes that that one visit would introduce a non-member to the Club and its ranges, and result in a new Club Member thereafter. With that thought, we still want to encourage new Club membership. As such, it was decided to not totally close that door. Non-shooting guest(s) can still be shown the Ranges anytime during range hours, and . . .
An adult non-member shooter can be your guest under the following conditions: Only on days when the Clubhouse is manned (i.e. end of April – most of August, Sundays 1-4pm, Mondays & Thursdays 6-9pm) a guest can be brought to the Clubhouse where they must accept the terms of, and sign off on our Club Waiver. The guest can then be taken to shoot on the ranges. This is a one-time opportunity for that individual to utilize our ranges as a non-member, with the hope that they will become a member.
As a Member using the Rifle & Pistol Ranges, you may be randomly asked to present your membership card. As such, please have it with you at the Ranges. And to avoid arriving at the Ranges only to find them closed for a Club activity or Cowboy event, please check the Club's calendar page. Note that Rifle & Pistol Range use is no longer limited or closed during the Cowboys' monthly 2nd and 5th Saturday shoots. Ricochets occur! Position all targets in line-of-sight with berms to minimize any ricochets, and be aware that ricochets could also come from the Cowboys' shoots.
As a side note, Granite City Gunslingers is a Single Action Shooting Society Club located at Kimball Rod & Gun Club. As an Individual Member of KRGC, you can explore cowboy action shooting and become a member of Granite City Gunslingers at no additional cost. Learn more on the Granite City Gunslingers page.
|Posted on 28 August, 2022 at 21:40|
Here are the results of our annual 150 bird event. This was split into a lewis class paying the top two winners in each class. Tie breakers were determined by handicap score.
1. John Kelly, 135 1st place
2. Larry Burns, 134 2nd place
3. Cody Mjoness, 131
4. Bill Smith, 131
5. Eric Munson, 130
6. Derek Fischer, 130
7. Tony Verhey, 128
8. Greg Pass, 127
9. Doug Fisher, 127
10. Casey Hetzel, 123
11. Brody Padgett, 122
12. Kris Broda, 122 1st place
13. Brandon Kuechle, 119 2nd place
14. Aaron Serbus, 118
15. Doug Serbus, 118
16. Chuck Serbus, 117
17. Rob Kuechle, 116
18. James Woods, 115
19. Gary Tintes, 114
20. Tayler Verhey, 114
21. Tornado, 112
22. Riley Smith, 111
23. Steve Berscheid, 110 1st place
24. Bob Schmelzer, 109 2nd place
25. Brent Olson, 105
26. Bob Tholen, 104
27. Kurt Bowman, 104
28. Mark Almgren, 95
29. Mark Niemann, 92
30. Lisa Kuechle, 91
31. Katie Serbus, 89
32. Ryan Serbus, 70
33. Mark Verhey, 69
|Posted on 30 July, 2022 at 0:15|
|Posted on 12 October, 2021 at 18:15|
An updated message to members who use the Club's rifle and pistol ranges:
Don't be the next member to have membership revoked for unsafe shooting practices!
2020 was a busy year at the rifle and pistol ranges. Our three ranges continue to get significant use. Safety is a requirement. Elimination of ricochets is necessary.
Our ranges continue to be a luxury. Members can and do use these ranges 12 months a year. Except for a couple days each month, these three ranges are open for daytime use.
Our new gate limiting access to the Rifle/Pistol Ranges for members in good standing is in place and working. Range hours have been changed and posted to eliminate shooting after dusk. A 50 yard berm has been added to the Rifle Range to eliminate the need to put targets on the ground for intermediate distance rifle shooting. The heightened berm between the Rifle Range and Cowtown is in place, and will allow 100 yard Rifle Range use during most Cowtown events. (However, at this time we don't consider it safe to walk or drive to the 300 yard target during Cowboy events.)
But we continue to have ricochet issues, currently at the Pistol Ranges. Ricochets occur as a result of individuals improperly putting targets on the ground midway down any range, so the bullets do not stop in the berms. Range rules mandate placement of targets resulting in berm impact.
The Club Board continues to be concerned, and discuss safety issues related to the rifle and pistol range ricochets. Ideas considered include:
• Shortening the 50 yard Pistol Range, believing it would force shooters to position all targets close to the berm, so all bullets land in the berm.
• Requiring a Range Safety Officer on site, ultimately limiting range hours and usage.
At this time, the Rifle and Pistol Ranges continue to be self-monitored. Don't have your membership revoked because of improper target placement resulting in ricochets! Place your targets so that all your shooting sends bullets into the berms. If you need to, place targets at the berm and move forward from the shooting bays to assure berm impact. Your sight line must end in a berm.
The issue of ricochets will be addressed again at the November Club meeting. Action will likely be taken.
Remember that Club membership runs 12 months, from January through December. To avoid the disappointment of finding the ranges closed, check the Club's calendar before heading to the Club. Shoot safely, enjoy the sport, and enjoy your club.
Rifle Range Committee
|Posted on 22 August, 2021 at 22:20|
Dennis Serbus Memorial 150 Bird Resutls:
Name 16 yd Handicap Doubles Wobble Skeet Total
1. Cody Mjoness 25 18 40 24 23 130 $100
2. Mark Jelkin 24 21 42 20 21 128 $60
3. K C Hetzel 25 23 22 21 36 127
4. Tony Steffein 22 21 41 23 18 125
5. Rob Kuechle 22 18 45 21 17 123
6. Matt Foley 24 22 37 23 16 122
7. Ryan Magnusson 21 19 42 25 14 121
8. Gary Tintes 22 24 34 24 16 120 $100
9. Brian Magnusson 22 17 37 23 19 118 $60
10. Douglas Brandburg 24 13 42 22 17 118
11. Bob Schmelzer 17 23 39 18 19 116
12. Mark Peters 20 19 23 21 32 115
13. Kris Broda 23 21 16 20 32 112
14. Steve Golla 24 20 34 16 18 112 $100
15. Kurt Bowman 23 15 37 23 12 110 $60
16. Mike Lee 22 14 33 22 19 110
17. Lance Klersy 20 18 34 19 17 108
18. Ethan Lee 23 18 17 15 34 107
19. Chuck Serbus 17 20 31 20 18 106
20. Dan Klatt 23 17 37 17 11 105
21. Jay Winkelman 18 21 36 22 6 103 $100
22. Lonnie Hendricks 20 18 26 22 16 102 $60
23. Curt Lindenfelser 17 17 14 20 33 101
24. Joe Klersy 22 18 28 21 12 101
25. Lefty 19 13 28 18 20 98
26. Roy Winkelman 20 15 31 20 12 98
27. Tornado 21 11 27 19 19 97 $100
28. BioBob 17 19 26 21 12 95 $60
29. Logan Lee 22 14 23 18 18 95
30. Russ Eisenschenk 18 13 30 22 7 90
31. Caresse Mjoness 20 14 24 13 13 84
32. Ryan Serbus 21 12 24 15 11 83
33. Lisa Kuechle 12 14 25 14 11 76
|Posted on 20 July, 2021 at 19:35|
|Posted on 8 February, 2021 at 0:05|
ROCORI and Kimball High School Trap teams call the Kimball Rod and Gun Club home. This spring both teams are planning on having a season. This year it will be a modified season that will abide by Covid regulations per the MN Clay Target League.
If you have a child that is in 7-12 grade and is interested in the upcoming spring season you can visit http://mnclaytarget.com/ for more info.
Registration is starting now. You can also contact both area coaches:
KHS Trap Team: Robert Kuechle 320-492-5662 or [email protected]
ROCORI Trap Team: Gene Reitmeier 320-249-5902 or [email protected]
|Posted on 7 January, 2021 at 8:45|
A message to members who use the Club's rifle and pistol ranges:
2020 was a very busy year at the rifle and pistol ranges. Our three ranges got more use and continue to be heavily used even though deer season is over and winter is upon us.
Our ranges are truly a luxury. Members can use these ranges 12 months per year. Except for a couple days each month, these three ranges are open for daytime use. Access is plowed in the winter. And these ranges are currently self-monitored! At this time it is you members who “police” the ranges. It is up to you to honor range rules, use the ranges safely, keep them clean, respect fellow range users, etc. As a Club member in good standing you are allowed to bring one non-member guest and you are responsible for the conduct of you and your guest.
With the ranges getting more use in 2020, we have had some issues. Non-members (trespassers) have been asked to leave and not come back. Shooting has occurred after dusk. Pistol target frames have been shot as targets. Ricochets occur as a result of individuals putting targets on the ground midway down the rifle range.
As a Club, we have discussed issues related to the rifle and pistol ranges.
• We have considered only allowing range use when a Range Safety Officer is on site. This would greatly change range hours and usage. At this time, we decided to continue allowing members to self-monitor, with random monitoring by Club members who may ask to see proof of current membership.
• Range hours for 2021 are 8:00am to ONE HOUR before sunset. NO SHOOTING AFTER DARK – NO EXCEPTIONS!
• A second locking gate will be added at the creek. It is expected that members will keep this gate closed and locked, even when at the range shooting. Your current membership card will have the gate code.
• A 50 yard berm will be added to the rifle range this year.
• We are planning to heighten the berm between the rifle range and CowTown. When complete, monthly Cowboy activities will not limit rifle range use.
• Trash which includes spent casings, used targets, etc has been left at the range. If you bring it with you, bring it home with you. Pick up after yourself.
Remember that Club membership is good for the calendar year, from January through December. For now enjoy but don't abuse the Club ranges. To avoid the disappointment of finding the ranges closed, check the Club's calendar before heading to the Club.
Rifle Range Committee
|Posted on 23 August, 2020 at 20:40|
Results from our 150 bird event held on Aug 23rd at the Dennis Serbus Memorial Shoot: (tie breakers were determined by doubles score, then wobble score)
|Posted on 20 August, 2020 at 16:20|
Come join us for the DU Great MN Shoot on Sunday, August 30th, from 1-3 pm.